Generic valtrex is the drug used to treat herpes virus infection in both children and adults. This is very much similar to the valtrex brand medicament as both are enriched with the same chemical formulation known as valacyclovir. This medication belongs to the anti-viral group of drugs. Unfortunately there is no cure to herpes virus infection but yes, generic valtrex will definitely slow down the growth of the virus and aid in prevention from spreading it too faster. Because of this action of anti-viral medication body can fight off with the infection bit easily. This drug will not cure the herpes virus infection nor can it guarantee to reduce the risk of infection completely.
Herpes virus infection includes genital herpes, oral herpes, shingles and chicken pox. Generic valtrex (Valacyclovir) need to be consumed under medical supervision to get desired results. Ask your doctor about the best dosages of the drug and do as told by him/her.
Action Mechanisam of Generic Valtrex (Valacyclovir)
Generic valtrex has been approved by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1995 for the treatment of herpes virus infection. This is widely used to treat genital herpes, oral herpes, shingles and chicken pox in adults and children. This drug cannot cure the infection but certainly slow down the growth phase of the virus and thus treats contamination. This medication need to be taken as directed by the doctor to achieve the better results.
Like every drug, anti-viral drugs also possess unique mechanism of action to work out on the ailment. It works by slowing down the growth of the virus. Viruses multiply themselves through a process known as replication of DNA. This is the most important process in the reproduction of viruses. Generic valtrex blocks the process of DNA replication and thus stop their multiplication. This is how it helps in inhibiting the spreading of herpes virus infection. You can get better results when you consume the medication as per medical guidelines.
Generic valtrex 500mg is available in all forms, i.e. topical, oral and intravenous format. It can be used in any of these forms depending on the type and severity of the herpes virus infection. You need to ask your doctor for further guidance.
- You must tell your doctor if you are suffering from or having medical history of kidney issues or kidney failure, been infected with HIV or AIDS, depression, immune system disorders or cancer etc. consuming generic valtrex if you are dealing with any of these health concerns may make the existing condition worse than before.
- If you are talking any other drugs than possibility is high that this anti-viral medicament may interfere with other meds causing hazardous effects on the health.
- Generally generic valtrex (Valacyclovir) is safe to consume during pregnancy. But the full risk to the expecting mother and the unborn baby has not been studied fully. Thus it would be wise to take your doctor’s consideration before going for this anti-viral medication.
- This drug passes into the breast milk. Therefore consuming it without medical assistance means creating danger for your baby. Therefore ask your health care provider whether it is okay to have this anti-viral medication while you are nursing your young one. Your doctor will decide the best for you and your child.
- Oldies are at higher chance of getting affected with the side effects of generic valtrex and thus they must start with the lowest possible dosage of the drug to keep complications at bay.
Dosages of generic valtrex depend on several factors. These include age, weight and medical status of the patient. You must discuss with your doctor about these elements before you go for the drug. For the treatment of shingles, the starting dosage is 1000mg divided into three and need to be taken for seven days. 2000mg dosage is for cold sores, divided into two doses and need to be taken for one day. For herpes virus infection, doses of generic valtrex may vary. Your doctor will decide the best suited potion for you as per the severity of the infection.
Side Effects of Generic Valtrex 500mg
You cannot neglect side effects of the medication. You get both sets of effects, good and bad also. In some cases intensity of the effect is very high whereas these ill effects don’t appear at all. It is beneficial to ask your doctor about the pros and cons of the medication. This will give a brief idea about the medication and you will be prepared for the outcome of the consumption of the drug.
In many cases gentle side effects of generic valtrex have been observed. These include headache, nausea, abdominal pain, painful menstruation, vomiting, giddiness, joint pain, depression and increases in liver enzymes. These aftereffects generally disappear within couple of days. In case if they turn out severe or persist more than two to three days then consulting a doctor is very important. Take drug on time and do not miss a dose. Consume it water and not with alcohol to avoid any sort of complications.
There are some serious effects of generic valtrex (Valacyclovir) that need to be brought to the notice of the health care provider at the earliest. Keep an eye for severe effects such as decreased urination, visual disturbance, skin rash, itching, hives, speech issues, confusion, hallucinations, bleeding or bruising, wheezing etc. These ill effects require prompt medical help.
Warnings of Generic Valtrex
- Tell your doctor about all drugs that you are using while being treated with generic valtrex. This will help in avoiding the drug interaction.
- This anti-viral drug is not suitable for pregnant ladies. Its effects are not been studies deeply in expecting mothers. Before taking this medication, one must consult with her doctor.
- Generic valtrex 500mg can cause central nervous system side effects such as depression, hallucinations, confusion etc and it need to get treated.
- People with poor immune system or suffering from immune system disorders such as cancer must consult with their doctors about using anti-viral drugs for herpes virus infection.
- Generic valtrex (Valacyclovir) cannot cure genital herpes. You must avoid intimacy when you are having an outbreak or about to have it shortly. Use precautionary measures to prevent it from spreading.
- Take this drug as directed by your doctor. For example, for cold sores this drug needs to be consumed only for a day. Taking it more than one day may not treat it faster.